Music Teacher Information
- Audition Info
- Audition Procedure
- Helping Hands
Schedule of Activities and Deadlines
Sept. 8, 2012 – In-service Workshop and Meeting, USC, Columbia
Oct. 1, 2012 – Postmark deadline for Honor Choir audition CDs/tapes, audition fees, and Nomination Forms to Mary Anne Tillman. Audition materials will NOT be accepted after this date.
Oct. 13, 2012 - Tapes will be judged. Results will be sent to teachers the following week.
Oct. 22, 2012 - Results will be mailed to teachers.
Nov. 12, 2012 - Postmark deadline for teachers to send Honor Choir Member registrations & fees to Donna Barrick.
February 7-9, 2013 – SCMEA In-Service Conference and SC Elementary Honor Choir Weekend. Note: All teachers having students in the Honor Choir must register for the conference as well as register at the Sheraton on Thursday, February 7 by 8:00 p.m., or on Friday, February 8 by 11:30 a.m. This is so you can pick up revised information concerning the choir and Honor Certificates. Teachers who do not register will risk being asked not to participate next year.
2012 - 2013 Honor Choir Repertoire
Woke Up This Mornin'
Traditional Spiritual, arr. Rollo Dilworth
2-part and piano
Hal Leonard 08752947
Et Exultavit (from Vivaldi for Treble Voices – selections from "Magnificat")
Antoino Vivaldi/ed. Janet Galvan
Unison and piano
Roger Dean 15/1474R
The Hills of Arirang
Korean Folk Song, arr. Michael Braz
2-part and piano
Hinshaw Publications (HMC-1819)
Cristi Cari Miller
2-part and piano
Hal Leonard # 08551304
Peace on earth…and lots of little crickets
SSA and percussion
Walton Music (HL 08501658)
Children of Light
2-part and piano
Colla Voce 24-96850
O Mary, Don't You Weep
Spiritual, arr. Rollo Dilworth
SSA and piano
Hal Leonard #08754323
Guest Clinician - Dr. Rollo A. Dillworth
Rollo Dilworth (b. 1970) is Associate Professor of Choral Music
Education at Temple University's Boyer College of Music in
Philadelphia, PA. In addition to teaching undergraduate and graduate
courses in choral music education, he conducts the University Chorale.
Prior to his Temple University appointment in 2009, Dilworth was
director of the music education program and director of the choral
program at North Park University in Chicago (1996-2009). Dilworth has
a bachelor of science in music education from Case Western Reserve
University; a M.Ed. from University of Missouri-St. Louis; and a
D.M.A. from Northwestern University. He is an oft-published composer
of choral music, with emphasis in the areas of spirituals and
Chairman, SC Elementary Honor Choir Committee
Suzanne Lee – Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ballentine Elementary School
1040 Bickley Road
Irmo, SC 29063
School - (803)476-4500 Fax - (803)478-4520
1. Use a separate CD-R for each nominated student. Click here to download computer recording instructions.
2. Label each CD to indicate name of student and school only. Use a sharpie marker to write the student name and school name on the actual CD. Do not apply any labels on the original CD. Please do not label tape or CD cases with names.
The student's music teacher must conduct the audition. Please read and familiarize yourself and the student with the audition procedure and audition examples before recording. The audition should be recorded straight through from beginning to end.
3. The only permissible talking on the recording is the announced student name only. Counting off, singing with, or any other verbal instructions given by the teacher are unacceptable.
4. Please limit auditions to your best six students. Students must be in grades 4, 5, or 6 and attend an elementary school. Only a maximum of six auditions may be submitted. Only a maximum of six (6) students will be selected from any one school.
5. The judging rubric is available on the Download tab above.
Ready to mail SCEHC Audition Packet Checklist
Postmark Deadline: Monday, October 1, 2012
_____Only six Audition CDs. Each CD should be labeled with the student name and school name. Do not label CD cases with any names or school names. Use a "sharpie marker to label your CDs. Do not affix any labels to CDs. Place each CD in a separate plastic jewel case.
_____One Nomination Form per student audition (maximum-six).
_____One Check made for correct amount. $8.00 fee for each student audition.
Check or money order must have school name written on it somewhere for identification purposes in case it is separated from paperwork.
_____Copy of current NAfME membership showing ID number and the expiration date.
_____Print "audio recordings enclosed" on your mailing envelope right above the address.
For best printing results, use the downloadable procedures and rubric documents found on the Downloads tab rather than printing from the web page.
Sample Audition Recording
1. Start audition
2. The teacher reads the following filling in the blank. Speak slowly and clearly "This is (Student Name)." No other talking is permitted.
3. Melody Echo Patterns
a) Teacher sings or plays on the piano each of the following melodic examples. (#1 through #4) Do not sing and play. After each example is played or sung the student echoes (a cappella) using the syllable "loo".
4. Harmonies (use the melody below)
a) Play the upper (soprano) line then have student echo the (soprano) line on "loo".
b) Give the student the starting pitch (B). Have the student sing the upper line while the teacher plays both parts (soprano and alto) on the piano.
c) Play the lower (alto) line then have student echo the (alto) line on "loo".
d) Give the student the starting pitch (G). Have the student sing the lower line while the teacher plays both parts (soprano and alto) on the piano.
5. Prepared song
a) Student sings America a cappella in G major.
b) Give the student the starting pitch G. Do not play any other type of introduction.
c) The student should sing the vocal line as written. Do not alter the rhythm or the pitches.
d) The teacher may accompany the first two measures. The student should complete the song a cappella. The song must be sung straight through without stopping.
6. End of Audition Recording
Listen to all recorded auditions to insure quality recording.
7. Mail Audition Packet to SC Elementary Honor Choir Chairperson. The following items must be included:
• Audition CD -a separate CD for each student. Please place each CD in a separate plastic jewel case.
• Nomination Form – a separate form for each student.
• $8.00 audition fee per student -Enclose one check or money order from the school or the teacher, payable to SCMEA Elementary Division. The school name must appear on all checks or money orders.
• photocopy of teacher's MENC card showing ID number and the expiration date.(Membership is a requirement.)
Mail to: MaryAnne Tillman, Logistics Chairperson
AC Moore Elementary School
333 Etiwan Avenue
Columbia, SC 29205
Helping Hands Responsibilities
(Download a copy of these instructions from the Forms page)
- Please wear your SCMEA conference nametag as well as the section leader nametag so that students know you are a teacher.
- Please be a few minutes early so that you can “switch off” with a teacher who was on the last shift and be ready to supervise when your shift begins. Let Suzanne know that you are on duty by checking by your name at the registration table. If you are on the first shift of the day, please pick up a section leader nametag. You will hand this off to your replacement when your shift concludes.
- Please be ACTIVE while you are on duty. Constantly walk around in your section (it will say which section you are on the section leader name tag you pick up) and monitor student posture, attentiveness, and participation. Many potential behavior issues can be avoided if students see that we are all actively monitoring them.
- If a student needs correcting, please do so in a positive manner.
- If a problem persists with a particular student(s), you may choose to change a child’s seat. However, please do not be overly vigilant. Be positive as much as possible!
- Give thumbs up when deserved, too. We want the students to have a positive experience.
- Thanks for lending your “helping hands” for the good of the choir! By being an active monitor, you help all of our students get the most out of rehearsals and out of the entire Honor Choir experience.
For best printing results....
... use these downloadable procedures and rubric documents rather than printing from the web page.
2012-2013 Rehearsal Notes
Honor Choir Music - Instructions for Parts
Notes will be posted in this space as soon as they become available.