South Carolina Music Educators Association
MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
Online Application Deadline:
November 10, 2023
To honor music educators by providing scholarship money for deserving college-bound music students.
To be eligible, the candidate must be a student of an SCMEA member who belongs to the Band, Choral, Orchestra or Piano Division. Further eligibility must be established according to the appropriate division rules. The candidate must be a senior in high school and must intend to continue the pursuit of music education in a college music program. The recipient does not have to be a prospective music major.
Method of Nomination:
A candidate must be nominated by his or her teacher. The teacher should complete the official nomination form online.
Regulations Concerning Audition Recording:
1. The teacher must validate that the audition recording represents an authentic performance of the applicant.
2. Audition should be 3-5 minutes in length.
3. Audition should be recorded using the best equipment available.
4. The applicant’s name and school SHOULD NOT be announced on the recording in order to prevent any possible bias in the adjudication.
5. Please follow the guidelines below for choosing compositions for the audition:
Two contrasting compositions illustrating styles in two different periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary). No concertos, please.
Two compositions in contrasting styles selected from sacred song, art song, oratorio, or opera. A translation should be provided for songs sung in a foreign language.
Brass, Woodwinds, Strings, Percussion
Two compositions in contrasting styles from the standard literature.
The SCMEA Memorial Scholarship is a one-time gift of $1000.00 and is not renewable. The recipient of this award will be notified by January 15th. The award will be presented at the annual SCMEA Professional Development Conference at a time selected by the President and the Conference Committee.