South Carolina Music Educators Association
OUTSTANDING YOUNG MUSIC EDUCATOR AWARD
Online Application Deadline: December 1st
The purpose of this award is to recognize, honor and encourage an SCMEA member who has been in the service of teaching from four to seven years for excellence in music education.
1. The nominee must be an SCMEA member in his or her fourth through seventh year of teaching in South Carolina.
2. The nominator must be an SCMEA member.
3. The nomination must include at least three letters of recommendation. These letters must be collected by the primary nominator, and forwarded with the official nomination form.
The following sources should be represented:
• A school administrator from the nominee’s current program.
• Another music educator with knowledge of the nominee’s contributions.
• A student or parent (current or former) who is affiliated with the nominee’s school music program.
Letters of recommendation should briefly but specifically address the following questions:
• In what ways has the nominee demonstrated by example the basic principles and characteristics of an outstanding music educator, and promise for sustaining contributions to the field of music education?
• In what ways does the nominee show evidence of excellence in music-making?
• How does the nominee develop and sustain growth within his/her program?
• How has the nominee’s teaching made an impact on students?
• How has the nominee shown motivation toward professional growth and involvement?
The recipient of this award will be chosen by a committee appointed by the President with the Immediate Past-President as chair. The recipient will be notified no later than January 15th. The award will be presented at the annual SCMEA Professional Development Conference at a time selected by the President and the Conference Committee. The award will consist of a plaque. The SCMEA Public Relations Chair will publicize the award.